Reckless driving is a serious criminal offense in Virginia. If you are charged with a reckless driving ticket you should immediately talk to an experienced Virginia lawyer. Virginia is known for being the 6th strictest state in the United States for its reckless driving charges. Virginia prosecutors deal with reckless drivers strictly and they are charged with harsh penalties.
What is reckless driving in Virginia?
Reckless driving is an act of any driver which can cause potential damage to any living thing or property. Reckless driving is considered as a major traffic violation throughout the United States. The following careless acts of a driver are deemed to be reckless driving:
- Over speeding
- Drag racing
- Driving with faulty breaks
- Not using headlights while driving
- Endangering lives with careless driving even within speed limit
- Crossing a stopped school bus
- Not following the signs properly
- Crossing two vehicles abreast in one lane
- Driving two vehicles abreast in one lane
What are the reckless driving laws in Virginia?
There are almost 14 reckless driving scenarios, where the driver can be handed a ticket in Virginia. However, speeding is the most common reason for a reckless driving ticket in Virginia. According to Virginia’s reckless driving laws, section 46.2 – 862:
“A person shall be guilty of reckless driving who drives a motor vehicle on the highways in the Commonwealth (i) at a speed of twenty miles per hour or more in excess of the applicable maximum speed limit or (ii) in excess of eighty miles per hour regardless of the applicable maximum speed limit.”
The strict laws of Virginia are followed by harsh penalties. If anyone is found violating the traffic laws of Virginia they can be charged with heavy fines and imprisonment. In section 46.2 – 852, the Virginia law restricts the drivers from recklessly drive their vehicle on the highway irrespective of the speed limit. Therefore, even if you are driving within the speed limit, you carefully need to analyze the traffic conditions of the road, else you will be penalized for driving in a manner which could potentially endanger a life or property.
Penalties for reckless driving in Virginia
The reckless driving penalties in Virginia are quite strict and harsh. If you are handed a reckless driving ticket you have to face the harsh prosecutors of Virginia court, who are in no mood of having mercy on you. The possible penalties for reckless driving include:
- Heavy fines up to $2500
- Suspension of the driving license
- Negative driving points
Understanding why Virginia has harsh reckless driving laws
The people who are new to Virginia are often found complaining about the harsh driving laws of Virginia. There are plenty of reasons argued by the people of Virginia and surrounding states. The most common arguments are as follows:
- For ensuring the safety of the citizens
- Due to vast differences in the infrastructure of the state.
- Political benefits: Strict laws are a sign of involvement in security of the citizens which will keep a positive image of the legislators
- Financial benefits to state: Nearly every year many people are given a reckless driving ticket. In 2014 during the thanksgiving season, the Virginia police handed 2312 reckless driving tickets. The fine for reckless driving is huge.